The coating of parts with powder!

This area is owned and operated by ThatKid (Nate)

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts
Posts: 2026
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 1:25 am
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: The coating of parts with powder!

Postby thatkid » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:43 pm

megaloxana wrote:Now you just gotta get an oven big enough for a frame :grinnod:


Yeah...those are about 10k..so get ordering up parts!

Dragon wrote:Hmm!!
This is maybe something to invest in. :whistle
But Nate, I think you will get the business. Now get practicing!! LOL2
As for the colors, do you have all those colors available?
That starter cover looks awesome, for your first powder coating job. Can't wait to see more parts. :udaman
You got a price in mind yet, for doing small jobs? Won't hurt to throw out some estimates!!


All I need is some advance notice for colors. They run about 9 bucks a jar and then shipping. So it's not hard to get one if someone wants one. I literally got the oven and powder yesterday and did that part right when I got home so I haven't ordered up a lot of colors. I wanted to make sure it was going to work out.

As for pricing, black will obviously be the cheapest just cause it's the easiest to get and to do. Some of the shiney colors require a basecoat and then the color coat so those will be a little more. I'm still trying to figure out prices. I'm trying to figure out like a flat rate or something as one option. Like whatever I can fit in the oven at one time will be $X.XX amount no matter how many parts it is. I'm thinking somewhere in the range of 70-80 shipped backed to you for a full load of one color. Single engine covers and things about that size around 30-40 shipped. That's kind of what I'm thinking but I'm up for feedback as far as what people think is fair. I'm basing this off what I paid for parts from a local guy and going a little lower so be people can afford it. Especially small parts....Most shops have a minimum charge of 50-60 no matter the part.

Also, I'm thinking those prices will be based on pretty clean parts. If I have to strip all the paint and grime off a part that takes a good amount of time so that would be an extra charge. If I only have to touch up some areas then the prices stand. I'm not looking to make a fortune at this. I mainly did it cause Dillon bought the gun and we have a lot of small parts we want to do so it seemed like a good idea. If I can make a little extra money in this economy then so be it.

Remember it doesn't have to be just moto parts. Car brackets or anything that can stand up to 450° is doable. I'm doing the range top for my mom if I can fit it on the oven.
Image
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."

User avatar
Dragon
Level 2.5
Level 2.5
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 10:04 pm
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota

Re: The coating of parts with powder!

Postby Dragon » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:07 pm

thatkid wrote:
megaloxana wrote:Now you just gotta get an oven big enough for a frame :grinnod:


Yeah...those are about 10k..so get ordering up parts!

Dragon wrote:Hmm!!
This is maybe something to invest in. :whistle
But Nate, I think you will get the business. Now get practicing!! LOL2
As for the colors, do you have all those colors available?
That starter cover looks awesome, for your first powder coating job. Can't wait to see more parts. :udaman
You got a price in mind yet, for doing small jobs? Won't hurt to throw out some estimates!!


All I need is some advance notice for colors. They run about 9 bucks a jar and then shipping. So it's not hard to get one if someone wants one. I literally got the oven and powder yesterday and did that part right when I got home so I haven't ordered up a lot of colors. I wanted to make sure it was going to work out.

As for pricing, black will obviously be the cheapest just cause it's the easiest to get and to do. Some of the shiney colors require a basecoat and then the color coat so those will be a little more. I'm still trying to figure out prices. I'm trying to figure out like a flat rate or something as one option. Like whatever I can fit in the oven at one time will be $X.XX amount no matter how many parts it is. I'm thinking somewhere in the range of 70-80 shipped backed to you for a full load of one color. Single engine covers and things about that size around 30-40 shipped. That's kind of what I'm thinking but I'm up for feedback as far as what people think is fair. I'm basing this off what I paid for parts from a local guy and going a little lower so be people can afford it. Especially small parts....Most shops have a minimum charge of 50-60 no matter the part.

Also, I'm thinking those prices will be based on pretty clean parts. If I have to strip all the paint and grime off a part that takes a good amount of time so that would be an extra charge. If I only have to touch up some areas then the prices stand. I'm not looking to make a fortune at this. I mainly did it cause Dillon bought the gun and we have a lot of small parts we want to do so it seemed like a good idea. If I can make a little extra money in this economy then so be it.

Remember it doesn't have to be just moto parts. Car brackets or anything that can stand up to 450° is doable. I'm doing the range top for my mom if I can fit it on the oven.


Sound good!!
I'll see what I have that needs a coat.
Image

thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts
Posts: 2026
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 1:25 am
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: The coating of parts with powder!

Postby thatkid » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:43 pm

95FZR600 wrote:Sounds like we need to get you a highlighted spot in the ye olde shoppe/business owners area so you can put up some info/prices.


that's what you're posting in. :cheers:
Image
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."

thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts
Posts: 2026
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 1:25 am
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: The coating of parts with powder!

Postby thatkid » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:31 pm

95FZR600 wrote:I mean something like another listing in front there for Powder Coating. Like right underneath your header.

That way if someone is looking for powder coating they will see it on the board index under your name and not have to ask in a new thread.



Right, well when I do a few more parts and make sure I have it down, then we can do that. :banana:
Image
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."

User avatar
zero9243
Level 8.5
Level 8.5
Posts: 896
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 3:23 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Contact:

Re: The coating of parts with powder!

Postby zero9243 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:43 pm

Nate is failing to mention my 20% cut....
Upgrades:

    Barnett Clutch------------------------------------------R6 Blue Dots, Front Master Brake Cylinder+Reservoir
    WP Adjustable Rear Shock----------------------------Vortex 520 Conversion with RK GB520GXW Chain
    V&H Header (4-1)--------------------------------------Swingarm Spool Mounts
    Cobra F1r Exhaust Can--------------------------------R6 Voltage Regulator
    Flo-Commander with Remote-------------------------Custom Airtech Passenger Seat
    Stage 7 Jet kit with Diffuser Caps--------------------Factory Pro Nickel Emulsion Tubes
    Wiseco 630 Kit------------------------------------------Custom Frame Slider Mounts
    Modking Hydraulic Clutch Kit--------------------------Hella Projection Headlight with Xentec HID Kit (H9 Bulb)
    Modking Aluminum Radiator Overflow Bottle--------





thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts
Posts: 2026
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 1:25 am
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: The coating of parts with powder!

Postby thatkid » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:51 pm

zero9243 wrote:Nate is failing to mention my 20% cut....


Damn investors! Always trying to screw you! :Kick
Image
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."

User avatar
zero9243
Level 8.5
Level 8.5
Posts: 896
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 3:23 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Contact:

Re: The coating of parts with powder!

Postby zero9243 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:15 pm

thatkid wrote:
zero9243 wrote:Nate is failing to mention my 20% cut....


Damn investors! Always trying to screw you! :Kick



haha that emoticon works so well
Upgrades:

    Barnett Clutch------------------------------------------R6 Blue Dots, Front Master Brake Cylinder+Reservoir
    WP Adjustable Rear Shock----------------------------Vortex 520 Conversion with RK GB520GXW Chain
    V&H Header (4-1)--------------------------------------Swingarm Spool Mounts
    Cobra F1r Exhaust Can--------------------------------R6 Voltage Regulator
    Flo-Commander with Remote-------------------------Custom Airtech Passenger Seat
    Stage 7 Jet kit with Diffuser Caps--------------------Factory Pro Nickel Emulsion Tubes
    Wiseco 630 Kit------------------------------------------Custom Frame Slider Mounts
    Modking Hydraulic Clutch Kit--------------------------Hella Projection Headlight with Xentec HID Kit (H9 Bulb)
    Modking Aluminum Radiator Overflow Bottle--------





User avatar
Dragon
Level 2.5
Level 2.5
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 10:04 pm
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota

Re: The coating of parts with powder!

Postby Dragon » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:20 pm

zero9243 wrote:
thatkid wrote:
zero9243 wrote:Nate is failing to mention my 20% cut....


Damn investors! Always trying to screw you! :Kick



haha that emoticon works so well


You guys are hilarious !!! :rofl:
Image

User avatar
megaloxana
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts
Posts: 2282
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 5:05 pm
Location: Hanover, PA 17331
Contact:

Re: The coating of parts with powder!

Postby megaloxana » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:39 pm

thatkid wrote:megaloxana wrote:
Now you just gotta get an oven big enough for a frame

Yeah...those are about 10k..so get ordering up parts!


Don't be so sure. You're a crafty one nate, build your own. I buddy of mine got a powdercoating gun and started a lil side business like you. He found an oven someone was getting rid of and pulled the heating elements out of it. Welded up his own enclosure and put in the elements. it was like 6 ft tall. I'm sure theres some info on the net somewhere. Tell that investor of yours its time to expand :deal:
'92 FZR 600
Airtech R1 kit \*/ 520 conversion \*/ 14F-47R gearing
K&N pod filters \*/ Stage 3 jet kit \*/ Factory Pro shift kit \*/ Full V&H SS exhaust
Custom '02 R6 undertail \*/ YZF gas tank \*/ Raised via dogbones \*/ custom flush turnsignals
Full R6 brake set-up \*/ SS lines \*/ Progressive fork springs \*/ ZX2 coilpack


ADD YOURSELF TO THE OFFICIAL FZRONLINE GOOGLE EARTH MAP :bunny :banjoman

User avatar
match417
Level 8.0
Level 8.0
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 1:02 pm
Location: Kaimuki, HI (ALOHA)!!!

Re: The coating of parts with powder!

Postby match417 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:17 am

SWEET!! can you do my valve cover for my car???? I have a 3rd gen 3sgte (toyota head but yamaha engineered...heh heh heh)..how much would you charge if i send it to you? I saw the color sheet of the colors you can do, but do you have all of the powders for those colors? it has the tempered enamel on it already, do you want me to take the paint off?
check out my car and bike projects on http://youtube.com/match417
Image

User avatar
match417
Level 8.0
Level 8.0
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 1:02 pm
Location: Kaimuki, HI (ALOHA)!!!

Re: The coating of parts with powder!

Postby match417 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:48 am

thatkid wrote:
megaloxana wrote:Now you just gotta get an oven big enough for a frame :grinnod:


Yeah...those are about 10k..so get ordering up parts!


just pick up like 3 ovens on the side of the road, cut them up or take out the heating elements, weld some stuff together and make your own oven for probably $500ish(or however much metal costs there)..depending on how much metal you buy..that's what i'd do. It would be easy on the wiring part if you just left all of the electronics together and set the three oven dials to whatever temp you need. You would just have 3 plugs to plug into a wall. I'd help you make it if i lived near you! it sounds like a fun project.
check out my car and bike projects on http://youtube.com/match417
Image

thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts
Posts: 2026
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 1:25 am
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: The coating of parts with powder!

Postby thatkid » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:40 am

match417 wrote:SWEET!! can you do my valve cover for my car???? I have a 3rd gen 3sgte (toyota head but yamaha engineered...heh heh heh)..how much would you charge if i send it to you? I saw the color sheet of the colors you can do, but do you have all of the powders for those colors? it has the tempered enamel on it already, do you want me to take the paint off?


As long as it fits in my oven I can do it. I don't have all the colors from the color chart but if you tell me what color you want I can order it up and it would probably be here before your part got to me. I could do it for 50 shipped if you strip the paint and as long as it isn't one the two stage colors. I'll give it the final prep and coat it up all nice and pretty.
Image
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."

User avatar
megaloxana
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts
Posts: 2282
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 5:05 pm
Location: Hanover, PA 17331
Contact:

Re: The coating of parts with powder!

Postby megaloxana » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:39 am

silver vein and black chrome should be part of your armada. Both are hot colors.
'92 FZR 600
Airtech R1 kit \*/ 520 conversion \*/ 14F-47R gearing
K&N pod filters \*/ Stage 3 jet kit \*/ Factory Pro shift kit \*/ Full V&H SS exhaust
Custom '02 R6 undertail \*/ YZF gas tank \*/ Raised via dogbones \*/ custom flush turnsignals
Full R6 brake set-up \*/ SS lines \*/ Progressive fork springs \*/ ZX2 coilpack


ADD YOURSELF TO THE OFFICIAL FZRONLINE GOOGLE EARTH MAP :bunny :banjoman

thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts
Posts: 2026
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 1:25 am
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: The coating of parts with powder!

Postby thatkid » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:44 am

megaloxana wrote:silver vein and black chrome should be part of your armada. Both are hot colors.


Yeah I'm planning on getting some black chrome. It looks sexy and I want to try it out. I'm trying to sell a few parts first and use the profit to buy more colors. I'm trying to save money for another trip to scotland and for credit cards so I can't go crazy on buying colors at will just yet. But I will have a few engine covers up soon and some pegs, rear foot rests, rear brake setup, valve cover, air tubes and I'm sure some other things. I have a set of woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets that will be up for grabs soon too. I'll probably offer them with a choice of color.

It's time for everyone to pretty up their bikes in the winter. No missed riding time in the summer then.
Image
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."

thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts
Posts: 2026
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 1:25 am
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: The coating of parts with powder!

Postby thatkid » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:15 am

Alright. I cracked. I broke down and bought 50lbs of powder!! I will shortly have the following colors: Blue, Red, Green, Yellow, White, Black, Grey, Orange, Brown, and Silver. I've inquired about metallic chrome and clear coat as well for that order. The deal was just too good to pass up.

So now people just have to get shipping me parts!

Here's round two on a test piece. Hmmm why does that yamaha look shiney?? Oh because I filled it with something. It's still hot so you can't tell what it is just yet.
Image
Image

This is what it looks like after it cools (note-the black areas are still cooling). I have 18 colors available for that action. I don't have it down pat yet but I'll get it.
Image
Image


Soooo..uhh...what do you guys think?? :ermm:
Image
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."


Return to “Green Machine Customs [Custom Fabrication / Machining / Powdercoating]”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest