FZR 600 no spark

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

t-j-b
Site Newbie

FZR 600 no spark

Postby t-j-b » Mon May 10, 2010 8:20 am

Hi Guys,

To cut a long story short (because im at work) i brought a cheap FZR 600, 1993 3HE that was running.

It has been stood for around 2 years, i got it fired up and was running pretty well. Went to put it in first and pull away and conked out.

It cranks over, all lights and electrics work APART from the fuel pump which doesn't prime when the ignition is switched on and there's no spark so it wont start!

I'm jumping it off the car batt so theres enough power(cranks pretty quick)

Coil packs have 10v at hot wire, 1.2v at the other wire. I've tried to check the pick up but my electrical skills are not great so not sure what im looking for or how to check (???)

Any ideas / suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

t-j-b
Site Newbie

Re: FZR 600 no spark

Postby t-j-b » Thu May 13, 2010 5:02 am

Bump, anyone?! :)

thatkid

Postby thatkid » Thu May 13, 2010 6:31 am

10v to the coils is low, should be 12v, any voltage to the fuel pump? fiddle with the run stop switch (when off fuel pump 12v feed is cut)

check your kick stand switch and clutch switch (happened as you tried to pull away) i'd be looking for corroded connections first starting at the fuse box, check the battery connections are clean and tight also.

t-j-b
Site Newbie

Postby t-j-b » Thu May 13, 2010 3:24 pm

Thanks Mawler, I'll look over what you mentioned at the weekend and post back here how it goes.

I've also ordered a new relay as I thought this might be what was causing the fuel pump probs.

t-j-b
Site Newbie

Postby t-j-b » Fri May 14, 2010 4:30 pm

This evening I went out and tried a new (second hand) relay in the bike. Still wont prime the fuel pump when ignition switched on :(

Check the voltage to the fuel pump and nothing, although the pump works when wired directly to a 12v source, so thats alright!

I checked the stop switch, clutch and stand by seeing if the bike would crank with them in different states. IE. with the stop switch in the off position it wont crank, but the relay clicks and the bike cranks if its put in the on position. Same with it in first gear, will crank if clutch in and side stand up.

This leads me to believe that all the switches are working correctly.

I've checked most of the connections, and everything else works: lights, indicators, dash lights, neutral oil and high beam ect.

Any ideas?

thatkid

Postby thatkid » Fri May 14, 2010 5:59 pm

The relay you replaced im assuming the main relay, behind the left rear side panel? the fuel pump gets it's power from that relay (Blue/Black wire) the same relay has connections to the TCI, start button, clutch switch, neutral switch, oil switch, start button, and run stop switch.

I have no idea of the innards of the main relay, i only know that it switch's the fuel pump off and the TCI off (no spark).

yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Postby yamaha_george » Fri May 14, 2010 6:13 pm

mawler wrote:The relay you replaced im assuming the main relay, behind the left rear side panel? the fuel pump gets it's power from that relay (Blue/Black wire) the same relay has connections to the TCI, start button, clutch switch, neutral switch, oil switch, start button, and run stop switch.

I have no idea of the innards of the main relay, i only know that it switch's the fuel pump off and the TCI off (no spark).

Hi,
if you hear the relay ticking you have NOT enough power to hold the relay coil at enough electr-magnetism to hold the contacts to make the switch work

I forget how many amps the start circuit needs but it is more than all the rest put together.

Put the bike battery to charge o/night,
inspect if the liquid level in all cells is between the lines for high & low tide first
and that there is no sludge shorting the bottom of the cell plates on the floor of the battery case.

clean all the plugs and sockets in the wire loom that is used for starting. Be an idea to get a tube/ pot of dialectric grease & coat all said metal connectors in said plugs /sockets o keep them crud proof

t-j-b
Site Newbie

Postby t-j-b » Fri May 14, 2010 8:42 pm

yamaha_george wrote:
mawler wrote:The relay you replaced im assuming the main relay, behind the left rear side panel? the fuel pump gets it's power from that relay (Blue/Black wire) the same relay has connections to the TCI, start button, clutch switch, neutral switch, oil switch, start button, and run stop switch.

Hi,
if you hear the relay ticking you have NOT enough power to hold the relay coil at enough electr-magnetism to hold the contacts to make the switch work

I forget how many amps the start circuit needs but it is more than all the rest put together.

Put the bike battery to charge o/night,
inspect if the liquid level in all cells is between the lines for high & low tide first
and that there is no sludge shorting the bottom of the cell plates on the floor of the battery case.

clean all the plugs and sockets in the wire loom that is used for starting. Be an idea to get a tube/ pot of dialectric grease & coat all said metal connectors in said plugs /sockets o keep them crud proof

It just clicks once, when a switch is activated ( such as turning the engine kill switch off, or putting the bike ingear with the stand down )

i'll check the amps through the system, although this should be OK as im actually using a car battery to start the bike (VW TDI battery, so plenty of power)

was thinking of replacing the ignitor, after I've double check the whole system for continuity.

t-j-b
Site Newbie

Postby t-j-b » Mon May 17, 2010 8:14 am

Please take note of mawlers message below first :tks:

Ok, this is an update for anybody who ever has a similar problem.

I got the bike running with a new CDI unit. If your fuel pump ceases to prime and you have no spark then its almost 100% going to be your CDI unit that's faulty. The fuel pump is pretty much on its own circuit which is completed by the CDI, although it goes through the relay it does this purely to take power from a live wire (its not effected by any of the relay switches).

Also, a very important note, which maybe obvious to some but surprised me. DO NOT run the bike without a battery. IE: if you are running the bike directly from jump leads as I was (no batt when i brought the bike) then removing them once the bike is running it WILL fry the CDI. This was the cause of my first & second fried CDI (i know, its a very stupid mistake) so please don't make the same mistake as me.

So waiting for new CDI now, and will keep you informed of how my little project goes!
Last edited by t-j-b on Mon May 17, 2010 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thatkid

Postby thatkid » Mon May 17, 2010 10:47 am

Ah what's happened there by running without the battery connected you've fried the VR, battery will be overcharging, DO NOT replace the TCI (CDI) until you first deal with the charging issue's, fit a new VR. Otherwise the replacement TCI will also get fried. The charging voltage will be in the region of 19V

With no battery connected the VR has nowhere to dump its DC output, and will get damaged causing over charging, may need to replace bulbs also.

Return to “FZR600”